The Oba of Lagos is a strong traditional ceremonial ruler who rules over Lagos State. He is usually ascribed to the Yoruba Clan. The Oba has no political seat or power but is usually consulted or sought after as an adviser, supporter or sponsor for Nigerian politicians who seek support for the various residents of Lagos.
The incumbent traditional Oba of Lagos is Oba Rilwan Babatunde Osuolale Aremu Akiolu and below are 10 things you should know about him.
1. He is 78 years old. He was born into the Akiolu Ologunkutere Royal Family on the 29th of October 1943 in Lagos State.
2. He is a graduate of law from the University of Lagos (Akoka Campus).
3. He served in the Nigerian police force for 32 years from 1970. After many brave years of service and promotions, he retired as an Assistant Inspector General of Police in 2002.
4. He identifies as a Muslim.
5. He has five beautiful wives. Oba Akiolu is known for keeping his family off public eyes but his first wife’s name is Olori Titilola Akiolu. She is said to be his favourite among his wives. He has 12 children all grown and serving in different federal parastatals.
6. As the Oba of Lagos, he is not allowed to see his new born baby until after 90 days.
7. He was listed as one of the top richest Kings in Nigeria by Nigeria stories (@Nigeriastories) in 2020.
8. He is a fellow of the Nigerian Law School and also a member of the Nigerian Institute of Management.
9. He was once displaced from his Palace by unknown thugs and hoodlums during the #EndSARS protest. They made away with his staff and eventually returned it back.
10.He is the most powerful Oba out of the 50 Obas in Lagos